Margie Medlin, Dianne Reid, Tanya Voges & Josh Twee
our inaugural commissed artists.
A dance film initiative by Dance Hub SA in partnership with Ausdance SA designed for Choreographers with a track record in dance film making to challenge, resonate and engage with screen dance
Four Choreographers or creative teams will be invited to create an original dance film of 2 – 12 minutes in duration.
Each Choreographer or collaborative team will be awarded a production budget (to include artistic fees) of $1,000 in total to create their project.
In addition each Artist/Artistic Team will be offered curatorial support via a group video conferencing session or workshop with key stakeholders.
Films will need to be made on a camera available to the artists (including but not limited to Smart Phones etc). All editing and post-production is to be completed by the Choreographer or collaborators, so that the final dance film is complete on delivery to Dance Hub SA. All contributing artists are to be credited within the film.
- You must be currently based in South Australian or have resided here during the Covid-19 pandemic
- You have a new well-conceived idea that is specifically made for digital presentation
- The project has the potential to develop the Choreographer’s skills in new ways
- You must have evidence of relevant skills and experience in dance film making
- Your project must be feasible within budget and timeline
- Your application includes a statement that addresses: the confirmed dance film title, theme/s and the name/s of your creative team/collaborators
- Applications are due by 5pm Wednesday June 24
- Successful Applicants are announced by July 1
- Development of projects between July 6 – August 13
- Dance.Focus Exhibition will be online from August 17
Dance.Focus 2020 Selection Panel:
Amanda Phillips (Artistic Director, DHSA); Cathy Adamek (President, Ausdance SA); Alison Currie (Board, DHSA); Robyn Callan (Board, The Graham F. Smith Peace Foundation); Alexander Waite Mitchell (Felicity Arts); Joe Felber (Visual Artist).
Dance Hub SA Membership is not a prerequisite to apply for Dance.Focus 2020 as Dance Hub SA recognises the difficulties in the current economic climate and Covid-19 restrictions
APPLY ONLINE (by 5pm Wednesday June 17) with the information below:
- Contact details
- 500-word proposal for a dance film that addresses the selection criteria
- Draft Budget (artist’s fees; hires; admin)
- CV or Biography
- Up to 3 x links/URLS to previous work and/or website
“Dance film is a distinct visual art form that expands what dance and choreography can be – beyond the limitations of the physical body in space and indeed, with or without, the virtual human body in motion”.
Amanda Phillips – Artistic Director, Dance Hub SA