A dance film initiative by Dance Hub SA in partnership with Ausdance ACT & supported by Ausdance SA
The commission is designed for creators with a track record in dance filmmaking, the commission is designed to challenge, resonate and engage with screen dance.
The 4 x commissioned dance films will premiere online by Dance Hub SA & Ausdance ACT in September 2021.
Dance Hub SA will premiere the two South Australian Films, and Ausdance ACT will premiere the two ACT films
Four Choreographers or creative teams (Two from South Australia and Two from the ACT) will be invited to create an original dance film of 2 – 12 minutes in duration.
Each Choreographer or collaborative team will be awarded a production budget (to include artistic fees) of $1,000 in total to create their project.
Please keep in mind that as we are using social media as the distribution platform for Dance.Focus that the recommended length is approximately 3 – 8 minutes to keep a captive audience, with 3-minutes being the average period of time that viewers watch content.
Films will need to be made on a camera available to the artists (including but not limited to Smart Phones etc). All editing and post-production is to be completed by the Choreographer or collaborators, so that the final dance film is complete on delivery to Dance Hub SA. All contributing artists are to be credited within the film.
Music utilised must be an original track with the synchronisation license granted by the composer for use in the film; or from a CC0 (creative commons zero) library with the composer/s credited and the library / URL credited in the film.
- You must be currently based in South Australian or the Australian Capital Territory or due to extenuating circumstances have lived outside of SA or ACT due to travel restrictions and the Covid-19 pandemic but usually reside in SA or the ACT.
- You have a new well-conceived idea that is specifically made for digital presentation
- The project has the potential to develop the Choreographer’s skills in new ways
- You must have evidence of relevant skills and experience in dance film making
- Your project must be feasible within the budget and timeline
- Your application includes a statement that addresses: the confirmed dance film title, theme/s and the name/s of your creative team/collaborators
- Applications are due by 5pm Wednesday June 23 2021
- Successful Applicants are announced by July 1 2021
- Development of projects between July 5 – Aug 30 2021
- Dance.Focus Festival will be online from Sept 6 2021
Dance.Focus 2021 Selection Panel:
Representatives from Dance Hub SA; Ausdance ACT; Ausdance SA.
APPLY ONLINE (by 5pm Wednesday June 23) with the information below:
- Contact details
- 500-word proposal for a dance film that addresses the selection criteria
- Draft Budget (artist’s fees; hires; admin)
- CV or Biography
- Up to 3 x links/URLS to previous work and/or website
“Dance film is a distinct visual art form that expands what dance and choreography can be – beyond the limitations of the physical body in space and indeed, with or without, the virtual human body in motion”.
Amanda Phillips – Artistic Director, Dance Hub SA
Applications Now Open
Dance Hub SA’s vision is to be a powerful catalyst for the future of Dance in Australia. Dance Hub SA is positioned as the only organisation in South Australia with the sole purpose of nurturing, promoting and developing the freelance dance sector through professional development opportunities both within our studio and through programmes that include residencies, workshops and project commissions.
We champion diversity of practice and lifelong learning through skills development and art form development, and are responsive to two-way feedback and collaborative decision making.
Ausdance ACT is part of a national network and is the peak body for dance in the ACT, headed by Director Dr Cathy Adamek
Ausdance ACT provides high quality, accessible and inclusive dance programs, from across all genres, which engage and inspire dance makers, performers, audiences, and other participants in the ACT and surrounds.
Our services include:- support for independent professional dancers; help with career pathways for emerging artists; professional development and performance opportunities; and promotion of dance and dance education. Ausdance ACT has special interests in the professional sector, youth, dance education and inclusive access to dance opportunities.