Dance Hub SA offers a Residency program that contributes to and promotes
art form development, and in turn connects the community.
The Dance Hub residency program is designed for dance artists to work in the studio from 3 days – 3 weeks as available in a calendar year. It provides the opportunity to develop an idea, test or create. It’s just that – dedicated studio time.
As the application does not auto save we recommend you view the application preview and answer the narrative questions in a text file that then can be cut and pasted into the online form.
Applications are assessed by a national panel against the criteria of artistic excellence and artform development.
Please frame your responses accordingly
- innovation, originality, quality, creativity and ambition
- the context in which the work is being undertaken
- the track record, creative achievement and skill of the artist or artists involved
- evidence of experimentation, risk taking and bravery
- the potential contribution to the development of the art form
- the potential to enhance the skills and/or professional reputation of the applicant
- the capacity to forge new pathways for artist and sector development
- the capacity to develop new networks, collaborations and partnerships
The Artist in Residence is supported in the following ways:
The duration of the residency is shaped and agreed upon based on the conversation with the Artist and your desired outcomes. The Dance Hub facilitates and supports the process and allows the Artist to lead the Residency as they need.
The framework of the residency is created and led by the applicant. Artists in Residence of more than 3 days will be asked to give back to the community through various activities such as a public showing, an open studio, live streaming, a Q&A, or an extension of these ideas.
In addition we aim to assist each resident with documentation support or an allowance to offset direct costs of the residency. These are negotiated on project by project basis
Eligibility and Timeline
Only South Australian practitioners are eligible to apply.
You must be a current member of Dance Hub SA to apply.
Application closing date: 5pm Tuesday Sept 21 2021
Notification date: October 15 2021
Information required on the application
The application form does not autosave so we strongly advise you to write your responses in a text document and paste them on the form.
- A project summary and proposal. A description of the proposed research (idea / exploration / development of an existing project) addressing the criteria of artistic excellence and art form development and naming the creative team and their roles (750 word limit)
- A summary of your artistic practice to date (150 word limit)
- A statement addressing the benefit of the project to the Artist and artistic team, such as considering: What have you identified that you wish to address through this residency? Why is it important to address? How will your project address it and how will you evaluate your project? (350 word limit)
- A statement about why this particular Residency program is beneficial to realising the project including professional goals for the proposed Residency (150 word limit)
- A context statement – a clear outline of the relevance of the proposed project and practice to your practice (personally and professionally) and to Australian Dance (150 word limit)
- A 2-page CV of the Applicant (Choreographer) – to upload as a PDF
- Biographies of all key creatives working on the project (maximum of a 3-page PDF document)
- Supporting Material (up to 4 x URLs / links with a brief description) that best enhances the overall application – ie: the applicant’s choreographic work as a video/s; website/s; inspirations; printed reviews or other media.
Please note there is a text box to include a brief descriptions and/or passwords for links